Flavours of the World: Malaysian Laksa
This is a really easy recipe for Laksa, and making the paste makes so much difference to the end result - enjoy!
5 shallots, chopped
7 cloves garlic, chopped
Thumb size piece ginger, peeled and chopped
2 fresh red chillies
2 lemon grass stalks, white part only, chopped.
(optional) 2 teaspoons of shrimp paste, roasted in tinfoil in the over until fragrant
A good glug of oil (such as peanut)
12 uncooked prawns (or more – if you like them!)
1 chicken breast, chopped
Rice noodles, cooked as per packet instructions
1 ltr Chicken Stock
1 can Coconut Cream
A bunch of Coriander
1 tsp Sugar
1 Lime, juiced
1. Chuck all the spice paste ingredients in a blender and blitz until a smooth paste.
2. Fry chicken in a wok with oil until cooked and set aside
3. Fry Prawns in the wok till cooked and set aside
4. Add the spice paste and fry for a couple of minutes
5. Add the stock and coconut milk, bring to boil and simmer for a few minutes
6. Add sugar, fish sauce and lime juice.
7. Add hot rice noodles to four bowls. Top with broth. Add prawn and chicken to bowls.
8. Garnish with Bean Sprouts, peanuts and chopped coriander.